Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

a tale of two pies...

...and no pictures! Yes, I made the apple pies I mentioned in the last post. Yes, they were delicious...my favorite recipe, which is one crust, thinly sliced apples, and crunch topping. I just never actually got any pictures of them before they were gone! (good excuse to make another one this weekend, I think.)

But while your tastebuds water for the pies you didn't get to see, I thought I'd share with you our very yummy dinner last night...quick and easy, and oh, so good!

I made a frittata from a couple cups of cooked, diced red potatoes, 1 lb of  pork sausage (browned first), some parmesan cheese, and about 10 eggs (I used 9 medium plus some EggBeaters, because thats what I had).  It didn't turn out pretty (so again, no pics) because I had to flip it in pieces to get the top to set, but it tasted good. 

And I made cinnamon apples. Which turned out pretty and yummy.  Here was my recipe: 1 lb of apple slices (mix of gala and ginger gold, what I had left over in my fridge).  Mix with 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/8 tsp nutmeg.  Put in medium saucepan with 2 T. water and 1 T. butter.  Cook on medium or medium low for about 10 min until the apples are soft and some of the liquid reduces. Try to wait until they won't burn your tongue before eating!

I love apple season. Apple sauce, apple pies, baked apples...not to mention the crunch and sweet-tartness of a fresh apple. But it starts to overlap with pumpkin season too...and I really find I have to separate the two or else there is just too much dessert going on around here! One more week of apples I think will do it....I want to get some more apples for sauce this weekend--gotta stock the freezer! And another pie, just because.  And perhaps a pie for the freezer? Then it will be on to...pumpkin bars, pumpkin pies, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin gobs (like whoopie pies), and perhaps pumpkin ice-cream (came across a recipe for that one yesterday...). Fall is all about cooking in my book. What's going on in your kitchen?

No comments:

Post a Comment