My favorite? A light, spongy, oh-so-buttery recipe that I adapted from one I got from my friend Leslie. Start with peaches, peeled and sliced thin into bite-sized pieces:
I use about 3 cups of slices, or as many as I can fit onto the cake! Here's the rest of the recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and place 1 stick unsalted butter in a 13x9 baking dish, and place in oven to melt the butter.
- Meanwhile, mix together: 1 1/3 cups flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix in 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Mixture will start to bubble...this is good!
- Remove the hot dish from the oven once butter is melted, and pour in the batter, swirling the melted butter in a little bit so it doesn't all pool at the edges.
- Drop the pieces of peach on top one by one until you have filled every little space!
- Bake about 40 minutes, or until puffed up, golden brown, and set.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, preferably while cake is still warm. OK for breakfast the next day too!