Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

convicting eating habits

So I've been reading Barbara Kingsolver's amazing non-fiction book, Animal Vegetable Miracle, which documents her family's attempt to eat only locally and self-produced food for an entire year.  Its a great read, which is no surprise as I have enjoyed her fiction (especially The Poisonwood Bible) so much.  And it is challenging my view of reality (also no surprise, similar effect as her fiction!).   It makes you think a lot more about just where your food comes from, how it was produced, and how much it cost to ship it to your table (fresh fruit in January, anyone?).

Today at lunch I'm sitting there reading a little bit about her planting the years tomatoes, and realize the contradiction:  I have a bowl of Chef BoyRDee in front of me, and had just been proud of my self for choosing a healthy lunch, as the can assures me I'm getting "15% of daily grains, 20% of daily vegetables and 10% of daily meat per serving, good source of 6 vitamins and minerals".  Since I'm eating the whole can, which is really 2 servings, I'm thinking I'm doing pretty well.  And then it hits me.  Anything called "ChefBoyRDee" and served to me from a can is probably not produced locally by family farmers. Huh.  In fact, as I read the label further, I see it is made by ConAgra foods, one of the big 3 food producers in the US.

Well.  I obviously have a long way to go in being aware of my food choices.  Eating healthier for me would be a good start (and I'm thinking the Twizzlers for dessert were probably not a good choice).  Eating healthier for my family, the worlds food producers, the local economy and the environment would be good too.  Its a good start that I'm even reading the can, I guess. Little steps.  Once again, Ms. Kingsolver, you are rocking my world, and its a good thing. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment