Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

welcoming 2013...better late than never

2013 is my year of "diligence". It has become quite the thing to do, at least in the blogging world, to pick a single word to focus on each year as a form of New Years Resolution. And I wasn't going to do it. I wasn't going to join the crowd. But this word kept creeping back to me in my journalling and my reading in the past 2 weeks, and so I have decided not to fight it.

Dictionary.com gives me this definition of Diligence:
constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken; persistent exertion of body or mind.
 
And I think something is to be gained from the definition of Diligent, as well:
constant in effort to accomplish something; attentive and persistent in doing anything; done or pursued with persevering attention; painstaking.
 
Diligence is about doing what needs to be done. Taking adequate time and energy to focus on my children, my marriage, and my other relationships. Being intentional about what I am reading in books and on-line. Being intentional about spending time in God's word. When I am at work, working with all my heart. Using time wisely. Taking care of my home, feeding my family meals that are healthy and planned in advance. It is about making changes that stick, not resolutions that won't be kept more than a few weeks (if that).

Welcome, 2013. I look forward to a year ahead of growth, as I learn to be diligent in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment