Lessons I learned included:
- don't hesitate to linger in places where the kids are engaged and happy. Making clay pots with a Powhatan Indian reenactor or rolling hoops with a stick leave a lasting impression!
- interactive exhibits are much more interesting to mommy and to kids than displays and placards. don't worry if you skip some of the "educational material" and go straight for the active stuff.
- think twice...no, think three or more times, before taking kids on an amusement park ride that might be scary. Whoops. Still hearing about the "Dark Castle" days later.
- down time is important! Especially for young kids. Oh, and mommy too. I think daddy held up ok. We did a lot, and by the end of the trip we were whooped. Must remember this one when we go to Colorado for 9 days!
- as my brother once taught us, "Feed the bear!" Grouchy people are often hungry people. Stop for a snack or move mealtime if whining and grumpiness start up.
|Captain John Smith|
|Birthplace of Virginia and the U.S.A.|
|Walking with Pocahontas|
|Modeling 17th century Armor|
|Happy boy on a cannon, right before we got yelled at by an employee for climbing!|
|Abord the Susan Constant, also seen below|