Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

healthy eating:: skinny cupcakes

Today's post will be the first of several in a healthy eating series. I (re)joined Weight Watchers about 5 weeks ago after about a five year break, and I'm happy to report that I have already lost about 13.5 pounds on their program. I could wax on about Weight Watchers for quite a while, but I will leave it at this: any program that lets me eat Cadbury Mini Eggs every day and still lose weight is a good one for me. I do love my sweets, my salty's, my greasy, fatty foods. And dieting is not easy for me, but I am (re)learning to make better choices.

So here's my fabulous find for today: a skinny cupcake that is only 2 Weight Watchers Points+ including the frosting!
I had heard about making cupcakes with Diet soda, and just had to try it! Now I want to try all sorts of flavors! These are amazing! So here's the "skinny":

Skinny Cupcakes:
1 box cake mix (I used Betty Crocker Cherry Chip)
12 oz Diet soda (I used Diet Cherry 7Up)
NOTE: Regular soda will not work! Also, match dark sodas to dark cakes, and light sodas to light cakes. I want to try Diet Dr. Pepper with Devils Food...mmm!

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line cupcake tins with 24 paper liners.
Mix cake mix and soda until combined and spoon into lined tins (about 1/8 c each).
Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean.
Cook on wire racks.

Frosting:
1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt 
1/2 cup confectioners sugar (powdered sugar), sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk frosting ingredients together in an electric mixer on high until creamy and well blended. 
"Dollop" onto cupcakes, and refrigerate until serving.
Enjoy!

Yes, only 2 WW Points+ per cupcake! Have two!

Coming up tomorrow: Homemade granola. Breakfast of champions!

No comments:

Post a Comment