Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

create:: the everything bag

I've been loving this new book by Tanya Whelan, Sew what you Love!  There's nothing more fun than a new sewing project and even better, a whole book of them! Tanya's projects are well written, not too complicated for beginners, and with details that are interesting enough for those who have been sewing a while. The designs are classic with a modern flair, and great for showing off wonderful patterned fabric.

The other thing I love: I am a bag-a-holic. I cannot resist a wonderful totebag. In my opinion, you cannot own too many wonderful bags. Great for shopping, lugging things to work, and of course, for project bags for knitting and other creative work!  And this book has not one but lots of fabulous bag patterns.

So the first project I tackled from this book was her Amelie bag, a present for a friend who just might need a big bag to carry things around in! I used a wonderful patterned fabric that I got on clearance last year and some remnant fabric, and it came together beautifully. The darts in the bottom make it great for holding books and with some interfacing, it felt quite sturdy. Plus I love the divided pocket inside, just the right size for a cell-phone and sunglasses.
I can't decide if my next project will be to make one for myself, or to try another pattern. So many choices. But I think a trip to the fabric store may be involved! Happy sewing, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment