Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

new year 2012

You'll have to forgive me this sappy and probably overly sentimental rambling today. But I love New Years. I love the time to relax with family. I love to sit with a journal and a mug of cocoa or hot punch and dream about the year ahead. I love resolutions (even if I don't love to keep them!). I think it is good for me to take a step back and re-evaluate how I am living my days, and to correct course if needed (often needed!).

This year I coerced the kids (and some unsuspecting relatives) into joining the fun. I made a survey form similar to ones I saw on Pinterest but with a few more questions, to hopefully capture a word picture of our family each year as we grow. It was fun and sometimes hilarious, and often touching.

I love that my 3 year old boy wants to be an architect, and his 6 year old sister a fashion designer (she doesn't get that from her mom!). I love that their favorite shows are still "little kid" shows like Little Einsteins and Team UmiZoomi. I find it hilarious that out of all the fun stuff we did last year, both of them listed "Six Flags" as their favorite memory of the year.  I'm not sure we completely get the idea of "resolutions" but they did share that they want to get better at "sowing" (sewing) and building Legos. And that the girlies biggest goal is reading a chapter book in less than an hour (she is a fast reader), and his is to go to N.C. twice this year! I can't wait to see what they come up with next year...and how they have grown.

For myself, there are so many things I want to work on, I have to rein myself in and remind myself I can't DO IT ALL. And so I have chosen my theme for this year to be mindful--which means being conscious of how I spend my time and energy. I want to learn to be healthier with my body, eating better and being more active. I want to grow in my knowledge of God, and to seek more actively to make choices everyday that bring Him glory. I want to be more present with my kids and hubby, focusing on them when I am with them, and not being distracted by my to-do list, my want-to-do list, or any of the other things that often keep me from being completely with them, even when I am physically present.

(I'm re-reading that last paragraph now...ok, I guess I do really want to DO IT ALL...but I really am going for moderation. Really.)

One of the best parts of New Year's Day was this:




















We saw an amazing rainbow as we drove to our family New Year's Dinner. It seems an auspicious start, and a good reminder of God's promise to care for us. I am trusting in Him to do GREAT things in and through me and my family this year. I can't wait to see what 2012 will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment